Outline of President Barack Obama’s address to the nation after the failed terrorist attempt on passengers and crew of Northwest Airlines Flight 253.
1. The intelligence community learned a lot about Al Qaeda in the Arabian peninsula , but the intelligence community did not prioritize specific threats.
2. The lack of prioritization contributed to a larger failure of analysis, which together would have revealed the specific threat.
3. There was a shortcoming of criteria that would have caused failed terrorist Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, 23, to be placed on the no fly list.
In summary, the U.S. government failed in putting together information it had successfully obtained.
1. The intelligence community will begin to assign specific responsibility on following a specific threat. Leads must be followed by clear lines of responsibility.
2. Intelligence especially those toward the United S
3. Strengthen the analytical process of gathering intelligence.
4. Begin immediate effort to strengthen criteria to identify threats, especially threats that would include terrorists on the No-Fly list.